Stay connected. Become a member today!
When you join the San Francisco State Alumni Association, you’re deepening your connection and commitment to your alma mater and broadening your social and professional network. Beyond that there are many other tangible benefits, such as access to the J. Paul Leonard Library, discounted car and homeowner’s insurance and much more.
Did you know that 12 months after earning a degree from SF State, the University student email addresses ending with @mail.sfsu.edu expire?
You may extend by taking more classes after graduation or at the end of your studies at SF State.
With a membership in the Alumni Association, alumni may request an email forwarding address ending with @alumni.sfsu.edu from the University using the Contact Us form. You must provide your Alumni Association membership ID # and SF State University ID # before the Alumni Association can request an @alumni.sfsu.edu email forwarding address on your behalf from SF State's Information Technology Services.
This is an email forwarding service only, not an email account, and it doesn't retain emails you've received nor does it forward emails sent by others to your @mail.sfsu.edu or @sfsu.edu email address to your @alumni.sfsu.edu email address. Email forwarding allows alumni to have an @alumni.sfsu.edu address that forwards messages to another email address offered thru third-party email service providers, e.g., Comcast, Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, etc. Email messages sent to it are not stored anywhere, and email messages cannot be sent from it. And, there is no “account” to log in to.
Step-by-step instructions to save a copy of your SF State email data, contacts, and calendar are provided by Information Technology Services to assist you.
All areas of the Library building are open to Alumni Association members, and members receive access to all 23 California State University libraries with full borrowing privileges for the circulating book collection by requesting a barcode to be added to the Alumni Association membership card at the 1st floor Book Checkout & Pickup desk.
Online databases, electronic books and electronic journals are not available by remote access. Access to specific Library collections and services, such as general and express computers, media editing equipment, and the MakerSpace, is currently limited to affiliated SF State students, faculty, and staff. Please visit the Library homepage for up-to-date information about Library services. Additional information on specific services available to Alumni Association members can be found at the Library Services and Patron Types page.
Hours for Library spaces and services are available on the Library hours page.
The Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI) at San Francisco State University offers adults, age 50 and older, opportunities for continued learning, along with programs and activities for social and cultural enrichment in a congenial and supportive environment.
The Multimedia Education Resource for Learning and Online Teaching (MERLOT) is a program of the California State University, partnering with education institutions, professional societies and industry. Alumni are invited to: Access Online Journals and Articles Browse the Worldwide Collection of Online Course Curriculum by Language and Subject Area Connect with other educators, K-12 teachers, college and University faculty, education staff and administrators, and librarians.
You have the advantage of exclusive alumni-only discounts and/or benefits through the SF State Alumni Insurance Benefits Program, administered by AMBA.
- Short-Term, Long-Term, and Travel Health/Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Long-Term Care
- Life Insurance
- Pet Insurance
To learn more and enroll, visit the SF State Alumni Insurance Benefits Program website or call 1 (888) 560-ALUM (2586). AMBA is committed to “Serving You Throughout Your Life.”
SF State is dedicated to helping you reach your highest career goals. Your Alumni Association membership includes:
- Access the exclusive e-portfolio network for students and alumni to display your on-campus and post-graduate work and accomplishments, while enhancing your resume and online presence by showcasing your best projects and presentations on Portfolium. Upload your best work samples — art projects, engineering designs, legal briefs, videos, or presentations — and an update will be sent to companies with open positions in your field!
- Career & Leadership Development (CLD) resources such as Handshake (link is external), Big Interview (link is external) and Gator Connect to meet employers for jobs and internships, workshops, career fairs & event information, on-campus recruiting opportunities; to learn interviewing techniques with hands on mock interviews; and to be part of a mentorship community of SF State students and alumni.
- Myers Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI)* Career Report (link is external), providing useful insights into your personality and ideal work style to identify potential best-fit job families and occupations.
- Online access to a series of career-focused recordings, slides and resource list presented by faculty members in the Department of Counseling.
- Invitation to the official Alumni Association LinkedIn Group (link is external) to discover inside connections and build professional networks with trusted peers.
An exclusive perk extended to SF State Alumni Association members on iPad® and Mac® products from the SFSU Bookstore: Rarely discounted Apple products (link is external) can be purchased by members with the same education discount typically extended to active students only.
Also, members can save 10% off a wide variety of SF State branded clothing and gifts using the SF State Alumni Association membership card in the store and save 20% off online purchases with seasonal promo codes available throughout the year.
Alumni groups provide a fun mix of social, cultural, athletic, and academic activities for alumni. Check out the affinity and regionally focused alumni groups below.
- EMBA Alumni(link is external): Established on September 9, 2010, and led by Elisa Lau with assistance from Lisa Wu (BA '12).
- EOP Alumni: Established on November 28, 2011, and led by Mr. Alberto E. Olivares.
- Graduate Business Alumni:(link is external) Established on August 6, 2012, Graduate Business Alumni Group is led by Ms. Sarah Brackett (MBA '11).
- International Relations Alumni: Established on May 8, 2014, and led by Mr. Eric Tesar (BA '11).
- Social Work Alumni: Established on June 24, 2009, and led by Ms. Kristina Lovato-Hermann (MSW '06).
- Recreation, Parks & Tourism Alumni: Established on October 21, 2009, and led by Mr. Paul O'Connor (MS '06).
- Black Alumni(link is external): Established on December 12, 2008, and led by Ms. Monika Brooks (BA '03).
- Raza Alumni(link is external): Established on January 19, 2012, and led by Mr. Mario Flores (BA '05).
Regional Alumni Groups
- Austin: Established on January 6, 2010, and led by Ms. Heather Witte (MS '99).
- Las Vegas: Established on August 12, 2008, and led by Ms. Annie Duann (BA '04).
- Los Angeles(link is external): Established on December 12, 2008, and led by Mr. Luke Asa Guidici (BA '03) with assistance from Esther Hersh (BA '79).
- Phoenix: Established on March 12, 2010, and led by Ms. Shelley Wang (BS '93)
- Portland: Established on November 14, 2008, and led by Mr. Gerry Munzing (BA '96) and Mr. Dana Weintraub (BA '83)..
- New York Area: Established on July 14, 2008, and led by Mr. Chris Parnagian (BS '82), with assistance from Mr. Paul Dorr (BA '93).
- Washington, DC: Established on September 3, 2008, and led by Ms. Michelle Grifka (BA '89).
- France: Established on March 18, 2013, and led by Ms. April Yep (MBA '10).
- Hong Kong(link is external): Established on July 25, 2008, and led by Ms. Sanda Wang (BS '05), with assistance from Mr. Stanley Cheung (BA '08).
- Korea(link is external): Established on March 4, 2009, and led by Mr. Brian Sung (BS '95) with assistance from Mr. Homin Kim (BA '98).
- Japan(link is external): Established on April 5, 1998, and led by Mrs. Shoko Araki (MA '82), with assistance from Ms. Kanami Uchida (MA '02).
- Taiwan(link is external): Established on May 31, 2008, and led by Dr. Flora Chia-I Chang (MA '82), with advice from Dr. Wan-Lee Cheng, and assistance from Mr. Edward Chen (MBA '02) and Ms. Tina Li (MA '02).
- Thailand: Established on October 16, 2008, and led by Mr. Nithiwat Chaichanasiri.