Stay connected. Become a member today!
When you join the San Francisco State Alumni Association, you’re deepening your connection and commitment to your alma mater and broadening your social and professional network. Beyond that there are many other tangible benefits, such as access to the J. Paul Leonard Library, discounted car and homeowner’s insurance and much more.
Did you know that 12 months after earning a degree from SF State, the University student email addresses ending with “@mail.sfsu.edu” expire?
You may extend by taking more classes after graduation or at the end of your studies at SF State.
With a membership in the Alumni Association, alumni may request an email forwarding address ending with “@alumni.sfsu.edu” from the University using the online form at connect.sfsu.edu/myfwdemail. The form will require you to provide your membership ID # and SF State ID # to verify your membership in the Alumni Association.
This is an email forwarding service only, not an email account, and it doesn't retain emails you've received nor does it forward from your @sfsu.edu or @mail.sfsu.edu email address to your @alumni.sfsu.edu email address. Email forwarding allows alumni to have an “@alumni.sfsu.edu” address that forwards messages to another email address offered thru third-party email service providers, e.g., Comcast, Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, etc. Messages are not stored anywhere, and messages cannot be sent from it. And, there is no “account” to log in to.
Step-by-step instructions to save a copy of your SF State email data, contacts, and calendar are provided by Information Technology Services to assist you.
All areas of the Library building are open to Alumni Association members except for the Ground floor Study Commons and 2nd floor Digital Media Studio / MakerSpace that are only open to currently affiliated SF State users. Some Library collections and services are available only to currently affiliated SF State students, faculty and staff.
Members receive access to all 23 California State University libraries with full borrowing privileges for the circulating book collection by requesting a barcode to be added to the Alumni Association membership card at the 1st floor Book Checkout & Pickup desk.
At SF State's J. Paul Leonard Library, members can use the catalog access computers on the 1st, 3rd and 4th floors to access online databases and electronic books and journals.
Online databases, electronic books and electronic journals are not available by remote access.
Hours for Library spaces and services are available on the Library hours page. Please visit the Library homepage for up-to-date information about Library services. Additional information on specific services available to Alumni Association members can be found at the Library Services and Patron Types page. Learn more about printing options.
The Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI) at San Francisco State University offers adults, age 50 and older, opportunities for continued learning, along with programs and activities for social and cultural enrichment in a congenial and supportive environment.
The Multimedia Education Resource for Learning and Online Teaching (MERLOT) is a program of the California State University, partnering with education institutions, professional societies and industry. Alumni are invited to: Access Online Journals and Articles Browse the Worldwide Collection of Online Course Curriculum by Language and Subject Area Connect with other educators, K-12 teachers, college and University faculty, education staff and administrators, and librarians. For more information, go to Personal Collections and create your account online.
As an SF State alum, you can take advantage of simplified and worry-free protection when it comes to securing essential auto, homeowners, life and health insurance. This protection is available to you at special members-only rate and discounts through Mercer Consumer, a service of Mercer Health & Benefits Administration LLC:
- Blue Shield Major Medical Insurance
- Short-Term Medical Insurance
- Long-Term Care
For more information on the plans, call 1-888-560-2586, or visit the SFSU Alumni Services website.
Did you know your alumni benefits include a special discounted rate on car and home insurance? Find out more and get a free quote from Liberty Mutual Auto & Home Insurance on their website or by calling 800.868.1689.
Discounts and savings are available where state laws and regulations allow, and may vary by state. To the extent permitted by law, applicants are individually underwritten; not all applicants may qualify.
SF State is dedicated to helping you reach your highest career goals. Your Alumni Association membership includes:
- Access the exclusive e-portfolio network for students and alumni to display your on-campus and post-graduate work and accomplishments, while enhancing your resume and online presence by showcasing your best projects and presentations on Portfolium. Upload your best work samples — art projects, engineering designs, legal briefs, videos, or presentations — and an update will be sent to companies with open positions in your field!
- Career Services & Leadership Development (CSLD) resources such as Handshake (link is external), Big Interview (link is external) and Gator Connect to meet employers for jobs and internships, workshops, career fairs & event information, on-campus recruiting opportunities; to learn interviewing techniques with hands on mock interviews; and to be part of a mentorship community of SF State students and alumni.
- Myers Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI)* Career Report (link is external), providing useful insights into your personality and ideal work style to identify potential best-fit job families and occupations.
- Online access to a series of career-focused recordings, slides and resource list presented by faculty members in the Department of Counseling.
- Invitation to the official Alumni Association LinkedIn Group (link is external) to discover inside connections and build professional networks with trusted peers.
An exclusive perk extended to SF State Alumni Association members on iPad® and Mac® products from the SFSU Bookstore: Rarely discounted Apple products (link is external) can be purchased by members with the same education discount typically extended to active students only.
Also, members can save 10% off a wide variety of SF State branded clothing and gifts using the SF State Alumni Association membership card in the store and save 20% off online purchases with seasonal promo codes available throughout the year.
Alumni groups provide a fun mix of social, cultural, athletic, and academic activities for alumni. Check out the affinity and regionally focused alumni groups below.
- EMBA Alumni(link is external): Established on September 9, 2010, and led by Elisa Lau with assistance from Lisa Wu (BA '12).
- EOP Alumni: Established on November 28, 2011, and led by Mr. Alberto E. Olivares.
- Graduate Business Alumni:(link is external) Established on August 6, 2012, Graduate Business Alumni Group is led by Ms. Sarah Brackett (MBA '11).
- International Relations Alumni: Established on May 8, 2014, and led by Mr. Eric Tesar (BA '11).
- Social Work & Gerontology Alumni: Established on June 24, 2009, and led by Ms. Kristina Lovato-Hermann (MSW '06).
- Recreation, Parks & Tourism Alumni: Established on October 21, 2009, and led by Mr. Paul O'Connor (MS '06).
- Black Alumni(link is external): Established on December 12, 2008, and led by Ms. Monika Brooks (BA '03).
- Raza Alumni(link is external): Established on January 19, 2012, and led by Mr. Mario Flores (BA '05).
Regional Alumni Groups
- Austin: Established on January 6, 2010, and led by Ms. Heather Witte (MS '99).
- Las Vegas: Established on August 12, 2008, and led by Ms. Annie Duann (BA '04).
- Los Angeles(link is external): Established on December 12, 2008, and led by Mr. Luke Asa Guidici (BA '03) with assistance from Esther Hersh (BA '79).
- Phoenix: Established on March 12, 2010, and led by Ms. Shelley Wang (BS '93)
- Portland: Established on November 14, 2008, and led by Mr. Gerry Munzing (BA '96) and Mr. Dana Weintraub (BA '83)..
- New York Area: Established on July 14, 2008, and led by Mr. Chris Parnagian (BS '82), with assistance from Mr. Paul Dorr (BA '93).
- Washington, DC: Established on September 3, 2008, and led by Ms. Michelle Grifka (BA '89).
- France: Established on March 18, 2013, and led by Ms. April Yep (MBA '10).
- Hong Kong(link is external): Established on July 25, 2008, and led by Ms. Sanda Wang (BS '05), with assistance from Mr. Stanley Cheung (BA '08).
- Korea(link is external): Established on March 4, 2009, and led by Mr. Brian Sung (BS '95) with assistance from Mr. Homin Kim (BA '98).
- Japan(link is external): Established on April 5, 1998, and led by Mrs. Shoko Araki (MA '82), with assistance from Ms. Kanami Uchida (MA '02).
- Taiwan(link is external): Established on May 31, 2008, and led by Dr. Flora Chia-I Chang (MA '82), with advice from Dr. Wan-Lee Cheng, and assistance from Mr. Edward Chen (MBA '02) and Ms. Tina Li (MA '02).
- Thailand: Established on October 16, 2008, and led by Mr. Nithiwat Chaichanasiri.